Friday, June 27, 2008

Resolutions Revisited

As it's about half way through the year, I thought I would go back to this post I made back in January and see how I was getting on.


1. Read more books
I only seem to read alot on holiday whilst lazing by the pool. But I plan to read at home too. Probably not in bed, as it has a sleeping pill effect on me, but when I am fully awake and functioning.


Well, I am reading alot more books. That's not to say I have finished any of the ones I was reading when I wrote this in January!!! And I am still reading in bed. I feel like if I'm awake and upright and I get a spare hour (ha ha) I should be using it more wisely....for knitting!

2.Lose weight
In October I joined Weight Watchers and have lost 19.5 lbs. I need to lose another 11 lbs to be at my goal and am planning to do that before the end of February.


OK, I did this,and more, and have now lost 34.5 lbs to date. I have lowered my goal and now have another 7 to go.

3.Ironing
Now, I know this is a boring resolution, but I would rather poke my own eyes out with burning sticks than do the ironing.

My plan is to do the ironing as it gets dry. No more European mountains of the stuff lounging on my spare bed. NO! I'm doing it as I go along....AND....so far, so good. No ironing in my house at the moment!!!! (Watch this space)


This resolution I have sort of kept to. There aren't the piles of ironing there used to be. There are smaller piles, but they are getting done before people who live in this house run out of clothes. And I think that's good enough!

3. Vegetarianism
I have always been a vegetarian, since I can remember. My mum said I never liked the taste or texture of meat and I can't remember ever eating it. When Lily was born, although Rob isn't a vegetarian, we decided to raise her as one, because we worried about the sat fats, antibiotics, cruelty aspect ans so on of her eating meat. When she was 5 or so, and understood what meat was and how it came to be on the plate, we let her try it if we were somewhere it was for dinner, and, although she liked the taste, she decided not much later that she didn't want to eat it for her own reasons.

Now, I am getting on my soap box a bit about this one. Firstly..why oh why oh why do people who eat fish think they can call themselves vegetarian????????I mean, I know it's only a label, but it's like saying I'm a vegetarian but I do eat chicken now and then. WHY??????????? Why say you're one in the first place....unless it has some other special meaning to you, like it makes you a special person or something. I don't get it. Killing animals to eat, to me, is barbaric, whatever kind of animal it is.
I have never been an evangelical veggie, but this year, thanks to my very evangelical daughter, I have decided to become one. Don't panic, my knitting blog will not be the place I make you feel bad about what you eat, but in my day to day life, I plan to be voiciferous about the fact that in this country and many others, there are animals being kept in such cruel conditions and killed in inhumane ways and given all sorts of drugs and hormones to make them fit for your plates. And I'm talking fish, fowl and mammals. If you think what you are buying is ok, just because it sort of says it on the packet its dead remains have been crammed into, think again. It's been killed.
Sorry to rant on, but it makes me so sad, it really does. Rant over.


I have been more evangelical about this. Sometimes I feel a little scared by what I'm saying. My sister said it wasn't like me to comment on people's meat eating, so I have obviously been doing it. But I think, if you want to eat a dead animal, at least care about how it lived and how it was killed, and don't eat shrink wrapped shit from supermarkets. Go to a proper butcher where they will at least know this stuff. 2nd rant over.


4. Updating my blog
I am planning to blog more as I am planning to knit more!!


Oh yeah!!

5. Knit more garments

Check!! Back to School Vest, 28thirty, Juliet....need I go on??!


6. Finish Silver Belle

Whatever.

7. Finish clapotis
Oh, how I wish I'd never started that buggering thing. I will finish it though.


Maybe not

8. This year I am going along the lines of not suffering fools much if it is an effort or interferes with my own well being. I've never suffered them gladly, but this year I have decided not to suffer them much at all. Really, as long as I'm not rude, what's the point? Some people just want you to fulfill their own needs and insecurities and I'm not going there this year. I'm not mean about it, just aware of my own time being useful, I suppose.

I have managed to manage fools much better. And not suffer them. At all.

9. I have decided to set myself some fitness challenges this year. I do a fair amount of exercise, but don't have a specific target to train for. Well, now I have. I am going to do the Race for Life in the summer, in memory of my mum, and I am going to run it.


I ran a mile in January and did the 5k this week. Running!!!!! In 32 minutes. Phew. If someone had said to me this time last year I would do that, I'd have laughed so hard I'd have spat chocolate all over them.



Not bad, eh? I think I have kept to the more important ones and the others, well, does it really matter? I am slimmer, fitter, and healthier in mind and body than I was at the beginning of the year thanks to these resolutions, so I must be doing something right!

3 comments:

Linda said...

You have done so well with all your goals, well done! Now go and finish that clapotis!!!

Robin said...

Good for you for so much progress on your resolutions!! I like the idea of a mid-year checkup.

On the vegetarianism thing, did you catch the latest episode of "30 Days" on the Bravo network? It was really good. They featured a hunter who had to live with a animal activist family and participate in protests, see first hand some of the horrible conditions there are on dairy farms, etc, and eat vegan for 30 days. It was really good. I didn't know some of the things about the dairy farm industry so that had a big impact on me. I never call myself a vegetarian, because I do eat fish and other seafood, but I could easily give up other meat, mostly because a lot of it grosses me out.

Virtuous said...

No too shabby on your goals!

Keep it going!! :o)